which is prepared for a functional group, subfunctional group, or an assembly. A "V" appearing in this column in
lieu of a quantity indicates that the quantity is variable and the quantity may vary from application to application.
a. National Stock Number (NSN) Index.
(1) Stock number column. This column lists the NSN by National item identification number (NIIN) sequence.
The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN. When using this column to locate an item, ignore the first four
digits of the NSN. When requisitioning items use the complete NSN (13 digits).
(2) Fig. column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located. The illustra-
tions are in numerical sequence in sections II and III.
(3) Item column. The item number identifies the item associated with the figure listed in the adjacent Fig.
column. This item is also identified by the NSN listed on the same line.
b. Part Number Index. Part numbers in this index are listed by part number in ascending alphameric sequence.
(1) FSCM column. This column lists the Federal supply code for manufacturer (FSCM).
(2) Part number column. This column indicates the part number assigned to the item.
(3) Stock number column. This column lists the National stock number for the associated part number and
manufacturer identified in the part number and FSCM columns to the left.
(4) Fig. column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located in sections II
(5) Item column. The item number is that number assigned to the item as it appears in the figure referenced in
the adjacent figure number column.
a. Usable on Code. The usable on code appears in the lower left corner of the description column heading. Usable
on codes are shown as "UOC: "in the description column (justified left) on the first line applicable item description
nomenclature. Uncoded items are applicable to all models. Identification of the usable on codes used in this RPSTL
b. Associated Publications. The publications listed below pertain to the TA-838/TT and TA-838A/TT and their
TM 11-5805-650-12, Telephone Set TA-838/TT
TM 11-5805-650-20P, Telephone Set TA-838/TT
c. Illustrations--Listing. The illustrations in this RPSTL are identical to those published in TM
11-5805-650-34P. Only those parts coded "C" or "O" in the third position of the SMR code are listed in the tabular
listing; therefore, there may be a break in the item number sequence, figure number and page number. Only illus-
trations containing organizational or aviation unit authorized items appear in this RPSTL.
d. National Stock Numbers. National stock numbers (NSN's) that are missing from P source coded items have
been applied for and will be added to this TM by future change/revision when they are entered in the Army Master
Data File (AMDF). Until the NSN's are established and published, submit exception requisitions to: Commander,
US Army Communications-Electronics Command and Fort Monmouth, ATTN: AMSEL-MM, Fort Monmouth, NJ.
07703-5006 for the part required to support your equipment.
6. How to Locate Repair Parts
a. When National stock number or part number is not known.
(1) First. Using the table of contents, determine the assembly group or subassembly group to which the item
belongs. This is necessary since figures are prepared for assembly groups and subassembly groups, and listings are
divided into the same groups.
(2) Second. Find the figure covering the assembly group or subassembly group to which the item belongs.
(3) Third. Identify the item on the figure and note the item number.
(4) Fourth. Refer to the Repair Parts List for the figure to find the part number for the item number noted on
(5) Fifth. Refer to the Part Number Index to find the NSN, if assigned.
b. When National stock number or part number is known.
(1) First. Using the index of National stock numbers and part numbers, find the pertinent National stock num-